Easter eggs?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Easter eggs?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #25
How could we have possibly forgotten the Burma Shave signs near Blackcrag in A3?

Before they send us...
to a grave...
Alien Beasts use...
Burma Shave.

One of the better moments of A3.

EDIT: Also, A4 seems to have a cameo of TM:

Your conversation with this sailor is very short. It mostly involves his asking why you are in his room, combined with several harsh comments regarding your appearance, ancestry, and the availability of your mother.

--------------------
Heroes: Where are the monsters coming from?
Crisper: The pits of Hell! My aunt's cave! My pants! How should I know?

[ Wednesday, March 08, 2006 07:38: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 1115
Profile Homepage #26
Burma Shave showed up more than once. I think the other one was

If Exile
You want to save
Back up your save slots
Burma Shave

(Substituting Exile for Avernum as appropriate)

--------------------
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -Porkypine
Derakon's Library
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
Also in E3/A3 if you press the right F keys.

—Alorael, who will have to go through Nethergate even more exhaustively. Hopefully the easter egg isn't subtle, because there's a reasonable amount of humor based on anachronism and non sequitur that's just part of the joys of Shadowvale.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #28
OK. Here is the deal with the Nethergate Easter Egg (which will be made easier to find if I ever rework the game).

There is some space in a corner of the vale that, when you step on it, makes a little message on the text area. At this point, there is another spot in the opposite end you can step on. If you do this IN THE SAME PLAY SESSION, the quotes on the chapter heading screens change to funny ones.

It's ridiculously obscure. I did better in other games.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #29
Thanks for the heads-up, Jeff. I'll have to try that some time.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

EDIT: Also, A4 seems to have a cameo of TM:

Your conversation with this sailor is very short. It mostly involves his asking why you are in his room, combined with several harsh comments regarding your appearance, ancestry, and the availability of your mother.

:D

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 4231
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

The item descriptions are usually great in Spiderweb Software games.
Thus why I was distressed at their absence in BoE.

quote:

Also, A4 seems to have a cameo of TM:

Which dialogue, when I discovered it, reminded me of the shifting target audience. From Burma Shave to this... Well, G4 and A5 are yet to come, and I look forward to what Jeff has for us there.

--------------------
Lifetime Spiderweb Gamer
and Fan of Classic Style Graphics
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

""Fiesty slap of pain!" was the only monk quote that originated with JV."

Actually, I lifted that from a comic strip. But I honestly can't remember which one, and Google didn't help me.

Google is worthless. I seem to recall (20 years ago) reading a similar phrase in Dragon Magazine, possibly from Wormy or Snarfquest. Recent checks of old issues have been worthless for verification, but have been interesting.

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Apprentice
Member # 374
Profile #33
How about X and the his research on the ultimate spell of dropping anvils from the sky unto the head of enemies? That was pretty amusing.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #34
In A4, X is finally out of the library and both his new tower and old office have anvils in them. I guess he has started trying out his spell. At least he doen't ask us to stand there while he tries that one out.

Anyone want to guess which recently dead wizard X is trying to raise with his failed shade exoeriment? I think X is going for Erika.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #35
quote:

I prefer the one when you see one of the sea monsters for the first time. I forget the quote, but tentacles feature prominently.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #36
X first spoke of an anvil dropping spell back in the orginal exile game I think, and I think he has mentioned it in every game since that he has appeared in (in Avernum 1 he actually gives you a quest to find where a large anvil is located).

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #37
In E1 he asks you who has the largest anvil. In A1 he asks you to visit Bargha's library. The priest in the ToM gives you the anvil quest, I think.

—Alorael, who isn't very certain of that. Among other problems, it makes absolutely no sense. Priests don't need to have anvils.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #38
I don't remember anything anvil-related in A3. When you talk to X then, he talks about the Xian items.

In fact, X is coherent in A3, and almost sane. Hopefully, he's back to his usual self in A4.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
No matter how well it would perform, I will never construct any sort of machinery which is completely indestructible except for one small and virtually inaccessible vulnerable spot.

Pages