N:R Windows Save Issues

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: N:R Windows Save Issues
Apprentice
Member # 10046
Profile #0
Hey--

I'm a longtime SWS fanboy, since Exile 2 (though I went back and played the first one, of course!) Just got the N:R Windows demo, and I've run into a weird and annoying problem.

I'm a compulsive saver, before every turn of a dungeon corridor or every opened door, that sort of thing, and about five times so far I've loaded a saved game and it's loaded, not the save from a few seconds ago, but a save from about a half an hour ago, one that's been saved over many times.

The first few times it happened, I just assumed that my save-happy reflexes were rusty from a long break in Spiderweb Software games, but I've been more careful in paying attention to what I'm doing, and it definitely has happened. It's frustrating to lose ~20 minutes of successful gameplay, only to go back to a save before some other crucial point and have to do that again.

I didn't know if this was a solo thing for me (I haven't tried, for example, reinstalling), or if other people had noticed this problem.

(unrelated note: the world's a happier place because of Spiderweb Software--thanks so much for providing me and my friends with almost endless hours of gameplay!)
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #1
Hi- unfortunately this bug made it into Nethergate:resurrection. When this happens to you, look inside your save game folder. What has happened is the extension ".sav" was removed from your most recent saved game, and the game instead loads a previous version. Just edit the file to add the ".sav" at the end of it, and you should be able to restore it.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 10046
Profile #2
Thanks. That, in fact, worked. You're my hero.
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #3
Queer. Is this a Windows only bug? For I think I have encountered it on my Mac as well. And why does the .sav extension go away?

Oh, and welcome to Spiderweb. Please leave your sanity at the door.

[ Monday, August 27, 2007 04:04: Message edited by: Fractal ]

--------------------
Feel free to rate my karma. Please.

The Mystic: "Vista is a funky and finicky OS to begin with."
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #4
I've encountered it on Windows 98, 2000, and XP, so I wouldn't be surprised if it also occasionally happens on Mac. With the new saved game structure for GF and A4, it doesn't happen any more.

The bug is not quite reproducible, so it's hard to figure out what's going on, exactly.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00