purism (no canisters) in GF1

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: purism (no canisters) in GF1
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
Last year the question was raised here whether you would get a better ending to GF1 for using fewer canisters. One respondent was apparently trying the 'purist' challenge first set in GF2 by Mike Montgomery, of winning the game without using a single canister. But this person never told us what their results were.

So, does the Shaper Council like you any better if you destroy the Geneforge without using it, and without having used any (or too many) canisters?

I think GF1 would be much harder for a purist than GF2: you can't buy training in creations or spells. A GF1 purist Shaper wouldn't be able to do anything; there'd be no point to being a Shaper at all. A purist Agent could get Firebolt from the Ruined School mind, but good luck Firebolting your way through the Inner Crypt; you'd probably have to avoid it, and rely on trickery instead of violence in the other tough places. A purist Guardian would still have no creations, but might not do too badly, since in GF2 the solo Guardian works great. He might not be as successful in GF1, though, because in GF2 he relies on a high Parry skill for defence.

[Edit: misspelled Mike's name]

[ Thursday, August 05, 2004 10:15: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #1
[ Thursday, July 29, 2004 09:32: Message edited by: macrsp ]

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #2
The answer to the first part of the question is easy- If you use the Geneforge the ending has you create a seperate kingdom so the shaper council dislikes you. As far a the second part it is extremely difficult to do it as solo guardian but if curiosity about ending is all that bothers you, you can use the cheats to see. Of course it may be possible to do it the hard way. Sorry about the double post I'm not quite sure what I did

[ Thursday, July 29, 2004 09:33: Message edited by: macrsp ]

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
Yeah, I know the Council doesn't like you using the Geneforge. I only mentioned it in order to recognize that if you used no canisters but did use the GF then the Council would still hate you.

So my question is still unanswered. Is there a purist ending to GF1?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #4
I went through it w/o canisters and the ending still treats you as if you gained unnatural power. The ending is no different than with canisters

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
Ha! Thanks very much for the news. Somehow I suspected this, since nothing in GF1 even hinted that it might be an idea to Just Say No. But I didn't really have the time to check this out myself.

How hard was it without canisters? What class did you play? What ending(s) did you take? Were there areas you had to skip? Tactics you had to use?

--------------------