editor scripts*don't* work

Error message

• Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: editor scripts*don't* work
Apprentice
Member # 5950
Profile #0
ok,
I have downloaded all the different GIII so called "character editor" scripts, backed up the originals, and copied the ones from here into the scripts folder.
With every single one of the edited versions I continually get the message "talking error: Dialogue script broken or absent."

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, as so many of you have already pointed out that these scripts DO work.
So could some kind soul PLEASE offer some advice as to why they refuse to work for me?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
Make sure that the names of the scripts you are replacing are exact, and yes, they are case sensitive. Many people have trouble with these due to misspellings.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5950
Profile #2
unfortunatly I have tried that also. Filenames were an EXACT match, however they still won't work....

Must just be me :-(
Apprentice
Member # 5950
Profile #3
Just wondering,
has anybody else had any problems getting these "editor" scripts to work??
or am I the only useless stupid idiot here??
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #4
I don't know what to tell you. I keep hoping Hawk King will address this, as it is his script.

Being that it's just a dialogue script replacing it should work. Did you copy the entire script?
Apprentice
Member # 5950
Profile #5
As far as I know I did.
I did a search and saved eachof the scripts I could find. the training ground one, one for the east(?) road and one other.... can't remember which one....
but get the same error message on each one.....
I might try sending Hawk King a private message.....
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #6
Try downloading them again. Perhaps the files got corrupted during the download.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #7
If all else still fails, I offer mine. It's basically a copy of the GF2 GF1 editor script (Croikle's). Only adjustments I did was to remove the quests changing options and check that none of the nodes or nextstates clashed. I put it at Southend in the middle obelisk. The only problem I had with it is that the last option of doing nothing doesn't seem to work. I've no idea why. Everything else goes perfectly though.

Anyway, if theirs don't work, here's this one.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #8
first of all I can't see why it does not work and I am sorry that I don't have anything to say but try re-downloading it but that has been said sorry I didn't see this sooner

And here is why the option leave it does not work

it says
begintalknode 192;
state = 6;
personality = 0;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Leave it.";
text1 = "It folds up remarkably quickly, and in a few seconds it is indistinguishable from a normal obelisk.";
it should say
begintalknode 192;
state = 6;
personality = 0;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Leave it.";
text1 = "It folds up remarkably quickly, and in a few seconds it is indistinguishable from a normal obelisk.";
action = END_TALK;

Apprentice
Member # 5981
Profile #9
I have problems to get them to work too, have tried the GF2 as well as the GF3 Editor and they do not work for me. Game either crashes or tells me no dialog script present.

Maybe it's a windows specific thing? Me too, I have double checked spelling of the files and followen instructions perfectly.

Any idea?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #10
That is very strange. If the complete script is saved as the correct file name, I don't understand why it's not working for so many people. It would make sense if they were actually editors, but they are just scripts.

Are there any PC users who have gotten them to work properly?
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #11
I've never experienced a glitch using them. And, yes, I have a PC.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #12
Are you sure it's the complete script? It's possible that you're missing something essential, like "begintalkscript". Here's what the very beginning should look like:
// dlg.txt

begintalkscript;

variables;

begintalknode 1;
state = -1;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "special";
text1 = "The sign says:";
text2 = " Fort Kentia - West";

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Apprentice
Member # 5975
Profile #13
yep!!
complete script.....
But can not get any of them to work :confused:
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #14
Yes, that's how it should it look if there were no modifications in it. Nextstate must be 5 in order to get the editing part. Nodes with state 5 are the questions that ask you if you want to edit your pc or not.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"

Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #15
I was able to get it to work! Something messes with the file during the download process, because when I copied all of Ulrika's additional script into the original z2southenddlg.txt file after the last line (and changing the first nextstate value to 5), the editor worked correctly. It's quite strange...

Does using the editor have some sort of plot-influencing consequence, by the way?

Also, Ulrika, thanks for all of your effort in trying to help us poor souls who can't get the editor to work, despite the fact that you have had no idea what the problem could be. :)

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 03:55: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #16
It doesn't affect the plot in any way. Only you can do that.

Also, I'm sort of glad you got it to work. Editing, cheating should of course be frowned upon, but I'm a hypocrite because I cheat as well. Anyway.. call me Riibu. :)

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"

Warrior
Member # 5186
Profile Homepage #17
The main reason that the south end editor does not work is that there are two nodes that have State=5. The game creates the error because it doesnt know which talk node to use. Both nodes with state=5 are right next to each other. Simply change one to another(high) number and the editor should work. I *think* this problem is in the first script concerning the editor, the one that says "Use the editor", though this may be wrong.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #18
No.. those states have to be 5. Look- IMAGE(http://gamma.nic.fi/~ribla17/working_gf3_editor.png)

The nodes with states = 5 are those two choices there. If you change them, the editor will not work properly anymore.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"

Warrior
Member # 5186
Profile Homepage #19
On my Geneforge game, I modified the state for the first option ("Leave It") to 110. After that editor works for me. If I want to leave the editor, I enter the editor then choose the exit option.

Look:

begintalknode 7;
state = 110; //modified by universe_jdj
personality = 0;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "Leave it.";
text1 = "You regretfully walk away, knowing how much power it could give you.";
action = END_TALK;

begintalknode 8;
state = 5;
personality = 0;
nextstate = 6;
condition = 1;
question = "Use the editor.";
text1 = "A panel folds down on the obelisk and list of options glows behind it.";
text2 = "You can change your skills, spells, creations known, and money here, and also add experience.";
After that it worked. Before that I got a dialogue script error message.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #20
How.. HOW can that work? It's wrong! O.o It's not supposed to go like that.

Okay, since it works (even if it shouldn't) then let it be. I wouldn't recommend others to do so, though.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"

Warrior
Member # 3629
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Ulrika Jounintytar:

It doesn't affect the plot in any way. Only you can do that.

Also, I'm sort of glad you got it to work. Editing, cheating should of course be frowned upon, but I'm a hypocrite because I cheat as well. Anyway.. call me Riibu. :)

nothing wrong with cheating :)
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #22
It works on my computer, I downloaded it to check. They work fine.

Anyway, you don't need to cheat to win. Just play on torment!

:D

- Archmagi Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)