Perfect Forest woes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Perfect Forest woes
Apprentice
Member # 5164
Profile #0
Maybe I'm just clueless, but I can't seem to figure out the puzzle in the undead cave/city. I've tried for 2 hours to get it and it's juts not happening. What stumps me is the apparent lack of a way to move the mirrors in the level, since you can't walk through the beams to push them up or down.

As a future note to designers, it might be nice to put in (if possible) some type of script that fires off after a certain amount of time giving subtle hints to the player. It's certainly frustrating for some to get so into a game and get stuck on a puzzle, particularly (as in this case) with the inability to leave said level.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
This was exactly my complaint with the scenario. You need to kill the Haunted Nephil a goodly number of times (six, I think), go to the place where the "object" that the Perfect Spirit hates is, and then find mirrors elsewhere to move into position. If you want more specific instructions, post what part you are stuck on.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5164
Profile #2
It's the miror placement. I've killed the spirit a bunch of times and found the mirrors, but I can't figure any good way to position them usefully. I've managed to destry some wall, but that's about it. I can't manage to move either mirror vertically either because the beams never turn off. This makes the southern one not useful (at least I can't see a way it is anyway).
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
Kill the spirit six times. There are two mirrors, one in the southwest and the other near the center. Redirect the beam from the center using the two mirrors into the machine.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 2096
Profile #4
After breaking the wall and getting close to the device, go back south, where the closest mirror is. Break it, and move it 3 spaces east. Then go to the southwest corner and move the mirror out of there, and push it all the way to the room with the device. Then align it with the device and push it into the beam, so that it is reflected and ultimately destroys the alien machinery.

You can only do this once you kill the Haunted Nephil 6 times, though.

[ Saturday, December 04, 2004 14:40: Message edited by: Limecat ]

--------------------
"The only use of fancy titles is to draw attention away from one's lack of power" - Erika the Archmage

"Well, that's what you adventurers do, isn't it? Break into creatures' homes, slay them, and take their stuff, isn't it? Damned impolite, if you ask me." - Provisioner, regarding quests (Bandit Hideout, Avernum 3)
Apprentice
Member # 5164
Profile #5
Apparently I'm really dense because I'm still not seeing any way to push either mirror in a North-South direction. Doing so results in being cut off by the beam and being unable to push it further. I figure there is some way to line up the mirrors to blow up the machine and I'm guessing it's line up the centerish one so it blows up the walls and gets close then get the one in the south up to the machine, but damned if i can figure out how everyone is moving it northward.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
I moved my party in combat mode and split them up so as to more efficiently mess around with the beams. I think it's possible to solve the beam puzzle without doing this, but it sure makes things easier.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 2096
Profile #7
First off, there are 2 mirrors: the one in the center area, directly south of the device, and the one in the southwest corner.

For the center mirror, you don't have to move it north or south at all. Push it 3 spaces east from it's original position.

As for the southwest one, if I recall correctly, you need to move it north, then go around the beam and push the mirror out of the room. Then push it all the way to the room with the device through the broken wall, and align it so that it connects to the east with the device, and to the south with the beam. That way, you'll destroy the device.

The center beam is the one that matters. The southwest one isn't used to solve the puzzle, so don't worry about moving the mirror out of there.

And always keep an eye on your health. You might have to heal a few times.

--------------------
"The only use of fancy titles is to draw attention away from one's lack of power" - Erika the Archmage

"Well, that's what you adventurers do, isn't it? Break into creatures' homes, slay them, and take their stuff, isn't it? Damned impolite, if you ask me." - Provisioner, regarding quests (Bandit Hideout, Avernum 3)
Apprentice
Member # 5164
Profile #8
Sorry...Still don't get it...So, I have to move the mirror in the southeast northward, but I'm still not seeing any way how.

To illustrate (where -=beam, => beam generator, /=mirror, p=party, and o=orb thing):

the beam looks like this:

o
=>---------/

Now, I can't walk through the beam. So, pushing the mirror north even one space results in the mirror next to the beam and my party unable to move north to push it further north. The orb thing prevents me from pushing the mirror across parallel to the beam and then get under it with a diagonal move, shown here:

o/pppp
=>-------------------

So, if I need to move it north, how can I? I can't push from directly beneath and can't shove the mirror north out of the beam then get under it a different way (a la walking beneath it diagonally).

[ Sunday, December 05, 2004 14:46: Message edited by: Gilby ]
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #9
Try this variation.
The mirrors:
Place one of them in the southern room and direct the beam to the north. Catch that beam with the other mirror and direct it west, so that it hits the power source.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
Stand directly below the beam. Push it north. Go around, and then push it to the east until the beam hits the generator. It should move north or something.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 2096
Profile #11
Exactly.

But if it doesn't work, just try pushing around until you understand. :D

--------------------