Poor Man's Starbound?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Poor Man's Starbound?
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #0
I've been playing the demo of Galactic Core for a couple of days now and am surprised at the almost plagaristic similarity to another shareware game, Starbound. Starbound was prettier, though, even though its interface was more awkward in some ways. Still, Starbound is now defunct and impossible to buy -- meaning just the very limited demo can be played. So only in this respect is Galactic Core superior.

Anybody else know what I'm talking about here? Someone may have already pointed out the resemblance, but I thought I'd put in my two cents anyway.

[ Thursday, December 05, 2002 15:46: Message edited by: Icshi ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
Starbound III is still very much alive, and I'd recommend it over Galactic Core. Definitely.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #2
Really? Wow, great! Do you have the URL handy? I've tried a Google search to find it but with no luck. Thanks for letting me know.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
Er, sorry that was Starbound II: http://www.mac.org/games/starbound_II/

I'd recommend Master of Orion II or III over GC and Starbound, though.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Since PsiScape seems to have gone out of business, the demo can't be registered. Icshi was right.

—Alorael, who also cannot play MoO or MoO2 on his computer. The application opens, funny colors appear on the screen, and it is very difficult to quit.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #5
Really. Master of Orion just auto-quits on my machine.

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #6
You poor, deprived people. MOO is the king fo all games, since I have actually spend longer playing it than any other game I've ever played, Spidweb games included...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #7
Hope this isn't too off-topic, but I'm sort of amused that everyone posting here about Galactic Core moans about it.

I think what's most disappointing is that it's impossible to lose without trying really hard. I found 6-handed games a little more challenging than against individual empires and still ended a typically (um) 'Difficult' random campaign with Girandians wiping the last vastly outclassed Korvonian remnants! I know what some Chinese emporer (...) said about technology and paper tigers, but still...

Part of it is when you get up to the Tech 4 level of the game, they don't use planet-killers and planet-wipers and you do - hardly reluctantly, either. Also, most are pretty slow off the mark colonising other planets (usually only one / turn) compared to what a determined player will do, quickly earning you a massive resource advantage... A shame these restraints can't be designed out somehow.
Warrior
Member # 61
Profile #8
quote:
Originally posted by Adze-Hlessi:
MOO is the king fo all games,

-E-

amen to that

[ Sunday, December 22, 2002 14:23: Message edited by: Tycho Maudd ]

--------------------
I love talking about nothing, its the only thing I know anything about.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #9
I played that once, got bored, played again a month later, threw it out. I don't know about being a poor man's Starbound though... I did the same with that, so I really can't compare the two.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #10
Well, I must admit that I finally broke down and registered it. I rather enjoy it.

The final Terran campaign is actually very difficult -- My homewolrd was destroyed by the combined forces of the Peroc and ORiS, but fortunately still had a colony ship and space station -- so I ran to the upper lefthand corner of the screen and spent a few dozen turns slowly building up my forces on a world there, fighting off the occasion assault. I then slowly spread to the next planet and next, accumulating resources while spending just enough to protect the planets. Lucky for me, the ORiS and Peroc seemed more keen on attacking each other than me. Once I had built up enough forces I blitzkreiged the ORiS on the right half of the screen, taking over their plants with troop ships so that I wouldn't have to waste resources to rebuild their cities and mining facilities. Soon my resources were phenomenal and I came down like a sledgehammer on the remaining ORiS planets on the lower half of the screen -- the ORiS had just destroyed the Peroc so I didn't have to worry about them. In all, it took about two hours' worth of play. Quite a challenge.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #11
Peroc are easily busted if you stop them colonising the SW of the sector and attacking your homeworld from behind. That way they can't build up the resource / population (=fiscal) base they need for a decent fkleet. Bunkering your worlds in that region on reaching tech 2 helps slow Peroc's advance until you can destroy their city ships.

A spare battle group or two should keep OrRiS contained while you roll up Peroc. You should have reached planet-smashing tech 4 by then, so you can wipe ORiS without having to make expensive landings against their bunkered worlds.
Warrior
Member # 28
Profile #12
Is the last Terran Campaign also the last one in the demo? From the map of the sector I've tried to re-create in my head, it sounds almost exactly the same. I do remember the Peroc having colonized the upper left of the screen. Quite a fun mission as I remember, allowing me to spend hours upon hours tediously patrolling my little bottom left corner of the screen. My homeworld, having been easily destroyed time upon time again (save, load, save, load......), and any ships degraded to dead hulks of funny shaped metal, I was forced to hide in the Southern nebula (God bless that nebula). The nebula provided me safe cover to watch the ORiS and Peroc duke it out, and the bottom left corner of planets a safe haven from which I could lick my wounds (to fight another day!). Planet-busting became the regular duty of the day as my ships drew a diagonal red line of destroyed worlds from the top left to bottom right of the screen (Peroc homeworld included). The rest of the mission was a simple mop up chore.
Elasped time: 2-3 hours
Saved game: deleted
Lather, rinse, repeat
The campaign is a great time waster.
(not to be confused with this campaign is a waste of time......-er)

[ Tuesday, December 31, 2002 21:01: Message edited by: Ken Ichijouji ]

--------------------
Getting kinda rusty, musty, and dusty around here.......
Apprentice
Member # 2652
Profile #13
quote:
Starbound III is still very much alive
I love Starbound II but my copy got deleted.I tried to get another copy but Psiscape went out of buisness.Where can you get Starbound III?!

--------------------
Vote for me and you get:
my second rate knowledge
my... ummm...my..my?
my first rate...oh crap!
Just vote for me!
Apprentice
Member # 2652
Profile #14
Does anyone have any space games for mac that have not been mentioned?

--------------------
Vote for me and you get:
my second rate knowledge
my... ummm...my..my?
my first rate...oh crap!
Just vote for me!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #15
You can't get Starbound or Starbound II anymore.

I suggest MOO II, Escape Velocity, and Alpha Centauri.

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 2652
Profile #16
As far as I am aware of, MOO2 is for PC. I have not tried Alpha Centauri. I own Escape Velocity, Escape Velocity Override , and Escape Velocity Nova. Skip EVO and go straight to EVN. Its definitely the best! Go to www.evula.com and the survival guide for help with the EV series.

[ Wednesday, February 19, 2003 17:21: Message edited by: love them sholai ]

--------------------
Vote for me and you get:
my second rate knowledge
my... ummm...my..my?
my first rate...oh crap!
Just vote for me!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #17
Actually, MOO2 is available for the Mac too. Macsoft released it in 1997/8.

I agree - EV and EVN are so much better than EVO.

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 2652
Profile #18
Do you know where I can get a demo of MOO2 or buy it for Mac?

--------------------
Vote for me and you get:
my second rate knowledge
my... ummm...my..my?
my first rate...oh crap!
Just vote for me!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
www.wizworks.com/macsoft

You should be able to buy it there, or in a computer store's bargain basket. I bought it for $8 a few years ago. Comp USA has had it, I know that.

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 2652
Profile #20
wizworks doesn't have it and Comp USA has a PC version of it. I need a MAC version! :(

--------------------
Vote for me and you get:
my second rate knowledge
my... ummm...my..my?
my first rate...oh crap!
Just vote for me!
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #21
Personally, I love EV:O. I'm not so keen on EV or EV:N, apart from the Vell-os ships.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1654
Profile #22
Aggh! EVO was the worst of the three. My favorite is EVN.
Warrior
Member # 28
Profile #23
MoO 3 came out for those who want to climb the learning curve best described as "Everest". I bought it right when it came out (about a month ago now) and have yet to come close to beating the game.

--------------------
Getting kinda rusty, musty, and dusty around here.......
Warrior
Member # 2870
Profile #24
I played Starbound II (SB2) and Galactic Core (GC). The difference between them is like the difference between a hunting rifle and an AK-47. SB2 is far, far better in its demo version than GC could ever be when it was regestered version. But maybe that has to do with personal taste.

--------------------
All your base are belong to us!!!!
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/slp29/ayb.html

Pages