Just tried out Avernum series

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Just tried out Avernum series
Apprentice
Member # 16544
Profile #0
I used to play the Exile games about 5 years ago, I just played the Avernum port of Exile 1. I gotta say I like the new skill system though it's taking a little bit of getting used to. What I really don't like about this new version though is the 4 person party....I feel lonely and cramped. It's tough to choose/make characters now. I find that I try to dual class(for lack of a better term) everyone so that I can have all the abilities I want in the same party... Anyone else feel this way?
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by H1erophant:

I used to play the Exile games about 5 years ago, I just played the Avernum port of Exile 1. I gotta say I like the new skill system though it's taking a little bit of getting used to. What I really don't like about this new version though is the 4 person party....I feel lonely and cramped. It's tough to choose/make characters now. I find that I try to dual class(for lack of a better term) everyone so that I can have all the abilities I want in the same party... Anyone else feel this way?
Welcome to Spiderweb boards, leave you sanity at the door if you wish to cross over the turtles.

And to answer your question: Yep, a lot of people do.

--------------------
En Taro Adun, Executor Xel'Raga
Ghaal Korra!
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.
Apprentice
Member # 16544
Profile #2
Thank you very much for the welcome ; D
Is there any way to get around this and create two new party members once in the game or anything or am I stuck?
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #3
You feel cramped even though there are less characters? How does that work? And I don't usually have too much trouble with classes. One mage, one priest, one sword guy, one spear guy. What else are you trying to fit in?

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #4
First off, welcome to Spiderweb, leave your sanity at the door.

It may take a bit of getting used to, but it's really not that difficult. I've found that a party consisting of a fighter/priest, a priest/mage, a rogue/fighter, and a regular fighter is pretty effective. Bear in mind that normally I don't use archers, potions, or first aid.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

Remember, kids: every time you 'lol', God kills a kitten.

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
Apprentice
Member # 16544
Profile #5
Cramped in terms of skill points.
I'd like an archer, someone who can make potions, a thief and then there are the skills like arcane/nature lore
-Edit-
Any good guides to character creation/party formation?

[ Friday, April 04, 2008 11:46: Message edited by: H1erophant ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by H1erophant:

Cramped in terms of skill points.
I'd like an archer, someone who can make potions, a thief and then there are the skills like arcane/nature lore
-Edit-
Any good guides to character creation/party formation?

Not sure about the character creation guides. I'd check the Spiderweb Site Listing section on Jewels' TrueSite for Blades page. It's got a lot of useful stuff on it.

Although I seldom use these skills, using my own party description, I'd throw some archery or potion making points on the rogue/fighter or the regular fighter, because they're most likely to have "extra" skill points. Nature and Arcane Lore can be split between the party. Usually my priest/mage has the highest Arcane Lore level.

[ Friday, April 04, 2008 12:09: Message edited by: Nemesis. ]

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

Remember, kids: every time you 'lol', God kills a kitten.

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
There aren't any definitive guides. It says something about the game's balance that you can do well with any number of character combinations.

It helps a great deal to at least one character capable of mage spells, priest spells, melee combat, and dealing with traps and locked doors. Archery is very optional until A4, where it becomes good. You can even get by without some of those, although it's a challenge.

—Alorael, who favors a sword guy who handles traps, a spear guy who doesn't, and two effectively identical mage/priests. It's not an optimal build for the hardest difficulties, but it's adequate.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #8
You can find a lot of information here: http://www.geocities.com/zeviz1/ The character creation is discussed in "Hints" page.

The short answer to your question is that a lot of skills are either not really necessary, or can be just given to one of party members. A four-character party would be overpowered if each character was optimised for combat, so you can give many characters a secondary specialization. (e.g. spending extra points of one of the fighters on skills that help disarm traps)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.