Widescreen

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Widescreen
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #0
I'm curious. Why do Spiderweb games still not support widescreen monitor? Every new Mac has been widescreen for over two years. Nearly all PC laptops are widescreen now, and widescreen desktop monitors are becoming more and more prevalent. So, why are all the Spiderweb games still 4:3 only?

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #1
I think Jeff does this because of his desire to keep his games compatible with older computers. Additionally, he began the current series' he iscompleting in that format.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
I think it's more that Jeff doesn't want to spend the extra time coding more graphic screen choices for playing his games. He will probably do something for the next series or if Apple changes things in the next operating system. He was forced to redo some graphics to comply with the developement tools for Leopard.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
I think Jeff just doesn't like Tyranicus all that much. Everyone else gets the widescreen version.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I think Jeff just doesn't like Tyranicus all that much. Everyone else gets the widescreen version.
This is entirely possible. :P

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #5
I'm using a widescreen monitor, and the games stretch to fit... BoA looks a bit squashed, but everything else is fine.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - will you remember his name?
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #6
Play it in windowed mode. I do that with all of Spiderweb's games, except for A4 and the Geneforge series, which don't have a windowed mode.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #7
Why would you want to use a wide screen monitor in the first place?

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

It came with my laptop??

Nah, they're okay for watching films, and I like to be able to have two word documents open side-by-side, but otherwise, there's no biggie apart from aesthetics.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - will you remember his name?
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Hey, Jude.:

I like to be able to have two word documents open side-by-side
Two screens is better for that.

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

It came with my laptop??

Same for me, except that I have an iMac. And yeah, for watching movies and such it's nice. Also, all the games that do have a 1440:900 option look very nice on a widescreen monitor, maybe even nicer than on a normal 4:3 one.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 16119
Profile #11
Hey,

I've been thinking of getting Avernum 5 - I've tried the demos of the other avernum's as they've been released, but I've never jumped in and bought.

One thing I've noticed from the demos is the option to play full screen with the game the original size in the middle, or have it stretch to fit the screen. Is there an option to play it within in a window? I noticed in the post here someone talking about playing windowed, and I just want to confim that you can do that with Avernum 5, and how to do it (on the mac).

Thanks
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #12
'fraid not. None of the games using the newer engine can be run in a window.
Apprentice
Member # 16119
Profile #13
oh.. that's rather unfortunate. :(
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

I'm using a widescreen monitor, and the games stretch to fit... BoA looks a bit squashed, but everything else is fine.
It shouldn't stretch it, it should change the resolution of your monitor to match the game. Maybe the Windows builds are different but they always just change the resolution on my Macs so that it's the right rez and right aspect ratio, just drops the black bars on the side to maintain the proper aspect ratio. On my 20" imac the 800x600 games are a little pixelated but generally it seems to scale these exceptionally well (also starcraft).

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by eyelikep00:

One thing I've noticed from the demos is the option to play full screen with the game the original size in the middle, or have it stretch to fit the screen. Is there an option to play it within in a window? I noticed in the post here someone talking about playing windowed, and I just want to confim that you can do that with Avernum 5, and how to do it (on the mac).

Thanks

Jeff has started a rumor that Geneforge 5 will have windowed mode, but it's still a rumor even if it's from the game designer.

[ Thursday, March 27, 2008 14:08: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Apprentice
Member # 16119
Profile #16
quote:
Jeff has started a rumor that Geneforge 5 will have windowed mode, but it's still a rumor even if it's from the game designer.
True... but it's a pretty good rumor if that's the source! :P
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
You can take my 4:3 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.