Rocky's Revival (World of Avernum Factional RP Revival Discussion)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Rocky's Revival (World of Avernum Factional RP Revival Discussion)
Apprentice
Member # 9688
Profile #50
quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

I like using some WC lore in RP's..though not much..in truth..the whole faction is WoW-based..and I'm not hearing other people telling me to redo it..

:P

Yah...still bugs me...
Apprentice
Member # 9688
Profile #51
I read the thread, the IC, and I am still confused on one thing...

What factions are where? I don't want to pick a spot that someone else has already taken.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #52
Azuma: Just be sure to not rip off it too heavily, okay? The goal is creativity, after all. :P

Darkling: This should have what you need. Again, reading the thread would've helped.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #53
Whoever's updating that: mind starring whoever has confirmed they're still in? It'd help both the newbs and me, because I'm busy being lazy.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #54
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Azuma: Just be sure to not rip off it too heavily, okay? The goal is creativity, after all. :P
Oh yes..yes..let's what happens when WC collides with SW..@_@

[ Saturday, December 22, 2007 16:59: Message edited by: Azuma ]

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Warrior
Member # 12481
Profile #55
quote:

I like using some WC lore in RP's..though not much..in truth..the whole faction is WoW-based..and I'm not hearing other people telling me to redo it..

:P

You shouldn't have to have more than one person ask you - I don't play WoW (yes, heathen! I know! LOL!) so I wouldn't have picked it, but if you'd been ripping from, say, Terry Brooks' Shannara series (or Word/Void, or Great Wars books) I'd have picked it and probably raised a question as to the suitability of ripping from an already-published source. Copyright, y'know. Some authors are so stringent on copyright they won't even let fan-fics be written.

--------------------
Third generation geek and heathen!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #56
Azuma, just invent something. Other participants (TM) have stated that they will refuse to participate if you play with a faction ripped from Warcraft canon.

And quite honestly, if forced to pick between the two, I'd rather have stuff based on TM's canon that only he can explain, than have stuff ripped from another game universe.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #57
And you'll always pick on me because I'm undead..redo it I shall!

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #58
No, but a certain degree of size is important. Factions that are small with overpowered members get annoying after a while, because it makes beating them up unfeasible.

Rule #1 of factional RPing: never justify an overpowered faction with any weakness... if the weakness really balances it out, chances are you'll get bored of it and try to work around it.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #59
Hello. It's been quite a while since I've posted, but I'd like to jump back into this RP, preferably with a different faction.

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #60
Fine by me.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #61
I don't mind; but I think one of the moderators might want to edit out part of Alec's quick update...

In the mean time, Tyran I believe our factions had an agreement where you'd provide mine with food in exchange for an outpost in the Eastern Gallery. As soon as Fort Dranlon is rebuilt you will be welcome to station troops there...

[ Sunday, December 23, 2007 07:07: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #62
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

I don't mind; but I think one of the moderators might want to edit out part of Alec's quick update...
What, just because Alorael and Imban are Jewish you think they hate Christmas? Not cool, Sully. :(
Apprentice
Member # 9688
Profile #63
quote:

And you'll always pick on me because I'm undead..redo it I shall!

Does it have to be big a faction?

I'm confused, why in the world would people have a problem with undead?

That seems unflexible
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #64
It wasn't that he was undead; however, he was using specific characters from another game. For the sake of the RP, it's best just to come up with your own...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Apprentice
Member # 9688
Profile #65
Ah

Because I was going to be a faction of undead, still working on it, is that all right?

EDIT: Provided they are my own

[ Sunday, December 23, 2007 17:41: Message edited by: Darkling ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #66
quote:
Originally written by Darkling:

Because I was going to be a faction of undead, still working on it, is that all right?
Yeah, sure. We had a faction of them before, but it kinda disappeared.

But I think people were kinda referring to me signature. (points)

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 9688
Profile #67
Thank you very much, will be done soon I hope
Apprentice
Member # 6678
Profile Homepage #68
I am intrigued with the possibility of another RP game here. I was thinking of doing some stuff with the Vahnatai... possibly warrior scholars, studying the art of combat. Only, I haven't finished Avernum 3. Does anything traumatic happen in the relationship between Avernites and Vahnatai that I should know about?

In addition, I haven't played in a while, so I know a little about Cystal Souls and the Caste system. But is there a comprehensive encyclopedia on Vahnatai culture out there?

--------------------
Formerly EatAChinchilla...
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #69
quote:
Originally written by Spiritoftherain:

I haven't finished Avernum 3. Does anything traumatic happen in the relationship between Avernites and Vahnatai that I should know about?
Um... MASSIVE SPOILERS:

In A3, the Vanhatai spoiler and spoilerIn A4, spoilerIn A5, spoiler, and spoiler
quote:

In addition, I haven't played in a while, so I know a little about Crystal Souls and the Caste system. But is there a comprehensive encyclopedia on Vahnatai culture out there?
Everything you need.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6678
Profile Homepage #70
Appreciated. :)

I too would be put off this game if there was WC3 villains scurrying around. It's not only copyright violation, it's blatant lack of imagination, and I'm rather sick of the boner that people seem to have for Blizzard storylines, to be honest. :/

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 12481
Profile #71
quote:

Appreciated. :)

I too would be put off this game if there was WC3 villains scurrying around. It's not only copyright violation, it's blatant lack of imagination, and I'm rather sick of the boner that people seem to have for Blizzard storylines, to be honest. :/

Especially when there are so many other, in some cases more talented, authors out there you could rip off from ^_^

Srsly tho, I have to agree - it's the most awesome feeling to create something from the ground up and it sucks when someone else pinches it without asking you or crediting you with the idea (being inspired by something is great, but mention it, damnit, and don't have more than vestiges of whatever it is that inspired you!!)

--------------------
Third generation geek and heathen!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #72
spiritoftherain: I'm a little edgy about people playing nonhumans (and the Vahnatai... have issues, as Ephesos points out - although as I said, I'm not counting the stuff after A3 because it's horrible); the main reason is that a lot of the time they become a bit of a handwave. While with a lot of the nonhuman races in Exile that isn't really a problem, the Vahnatai are one of those races TM gravitated to.

And pretty much anything TM liked wound up becoming god-modey and tedious (the other major one was the Rakshasi). In general, playing the Vahnatai in a balanced fashion would require taking some crippling disadvantages that would probably get in the way of your good time - that is, while each individual member of your faction would be much stronger than average, there'd be far fewer of them and they'd be more or less incapable of dealing with conditions on the surface for any substantial period of time. If the RP stays permanent this time, both of those are just gonna get worse and worse as time goes on - because the Vahnatai have an extremely, deliberately slow population growth rate (and mature very slowly too) and they'll be limited to Avernum.

What's even worse, the Vahnatai also have a balanced economy - good for long-term thriving in a hostile environment, bad for this sort of thing.

If you wanna do the Vahnatai it's your call. I'm just warning you up front that it's gonna be tough to make it so that it's not either shooting fish in a barrel or completely lethargic; I'd go with someone else.

(Of course, this is just a gentle suggestion and carries no weight besides my own experience. You could be Pope of the Haakai and I wouldn't do anything but squawk indignanly.)

And you're absolutely right about the other guy - the WC storyline does what it's supposed to and that's that, and I don't get people elaborating on it, but what can you do.
Apprentice
Member # 6678
Profile Homepage #73
I am aware of the Vahnatai's inability to walk on the surface world, so I took that into account when thinking of what kind of faction I'd want.

I'm not going to toot my own horn about my own ability to RP (I'd say with six years experience I've learnt a few things, but some go through their whole life learning nothing), but I was looking more at the vaguely Oriental-inspired culture and the way they interacted with humans, who they supposedly created.

Besides, with all the **** that happened after Avernum 3, this would be a peaceful faction more than everything (with only a slight amount of sneakiness to it). I imagined a group of warrior scholars cataloguing Avernum and its human history to put it in their lore books, seeing as they have an interest in history.

Though if you strongly believe that Vahnati have no place in this game, then I most certainly will relent. I like Sliths as well. >___>

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #74
EDIT: (bleep) double post. Someone please un-break the board.

[ Wednesday, December 26, 2007 13:34: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Pages