Wow!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Wow!!
Apprentice
Member # 12021
Profile #0
Spiderweb sure has changed since the first days!
I have been away for sometime and am really impressed; forums and all that sort of stuff.
SV~

--------------------
Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by SubVet:

Spiderweb sure has changed since the first days!
I have been away for sometime and am really impressed; forums and all that sort of stuff.
SV~

Aye..although the insanity and the fluffy turtles remain..

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
You ain't evil until you hear this!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
I... assume this isn't your original account, then.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 12021
Profile #3
No it is not, at least with regard to the company accounts etc.
Seems to me that I got Blades when it first came out, and then Avernum; Spiderweb is a lot different now. Heck I don't even remember what ISP I was using back then, or how I payed for it; I cleaned out my files a while back, and of course I have sept since then. I do remember there being a sparsity of these type of games for the Mac; I started with an Apple IIe and Wizardary. Well, I do confess that Marathon was fun.

My son wanted to try World of Warcraft so I got it for him and that was all I had on the hard drive after several drive oopses. For me, however, WoW just is awful for a dedicated solo player... the I saw Avernum 5 at the Apple website and thought to myself,
'Self, remember back when . . .'

[ Wednesday, November 21, 2007 16:01: Message edited by: SubVet ]

--------------------
Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #4
At least you can remember that far back, I barely remember anything. And my record for forgeting something is 2 seconds. Sad, isn't it?

And anyway, the turtles weren't here at the beginning.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, but not sanity -Iffy
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are still under developement, but help would be nice. By the way, most of the conversation goes in the Moderator forum, in case your confused.
Iffy= Infernal Flamming Muffin. The y is added to make a word.
lol teh stupd text spek is lik ubar dum lol
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by The Iffy Muffin who...does stuff...:

At least you can remember that far back, I barely remember anything. And my record for forgeting something is 2 seconds. Sad, isn't it?

I don't think he was around that long, Iffy...

--------------------
The other white meat.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by The Iffy Muffin who...does stuff...:

Beginning of SW and the Blades community, no. Beginning of the UBB, pretty close from what I heard. Attributed to saunders from an AIM chat way back when.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Apprentice
Member # 12021
Profile #7
Well, the first submarine was The Turtle. No I was not on that one, but I did ride the Nautilus, and between it and my other boats, I think that I am finally seeing the results of neutron embrittlement of the brain :confused:

quote:
And anyway, the turtles weren't here at the beginning

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
It's nice to see someone else that played Wizardry on an Apple IIe although I used my roommate's II+. Welcome back and stay around.
Apprentice
Member # 12021
Profile #9
Ah, but that was after I upgraded from a + to a IIe ;)
But even before I finally could afford an Apple, I was using a TI 94/A. Ahhh, all the good old text adventure games, eh?
Oh, did I say that I also took the sun critical?

[ Wednesday, November 21, 2007 16:32: Message edited by: SubVet ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
I used to play Eamon and Adventure when I could get on a mainframe. I played the Ultima series for a while, but having to use DOS 1,0 for the first game was a bother.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #11
Ultima IV on my //c. What did it take...44,000 moves to complete? First computer game ever was Adventure, which became Zork, on some clunky DOS machine my dad's friend put together. That was when I first started staying up too late at night.

Worst time waster ever? The Civilization series. Worse than crack.

Welcome. :)

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt A5 Items
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

I was up till 4am the other day playing Civ 3. Now my sleeping times are all messed up because of it.

--------------------
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!" -Through the Looking-Glass and what Alice Found There
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
Heh. Zeviz, Dikiyoba and I are playing KoL. Crack is back!

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I still claim I am in there only for the chat. :P

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #15
Originally written by:
quote:
For me, however, WoW just is awful for a dedicated solo player...
Yay, another person who doesn't like WoW.

And Synergy, if I may ask, did they save both of your legs?

--------------------
Life's important Questions:
What is the best Artifact
Gloves of Savagery
Is there a more uber sword that the Puresteel Soulblade: No
Vie va la Travokites
Vie va la Kyryk
Vie va la Serviles
Vie va la Drayks
Your incompidence is your own fault
Before you complain, ask yourself, does anyone care? The answer, of course is No.
My life for Auir!
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I still claim I am in there only for the chat. :P

Chat... What chat? Certainly not clan chat. The Lyceum gets more posts then clan chat.

There are worse things to waste your time on then Civ. Real crack for one... My parents bought me Civ 3 for Christmas four years back. I haven't even opened it yet. Not because I don't like the game, but because I know once I start playing, I won't be able to stop.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #17
As far as computer games are concerned, Runescape is the worst time waster there is.

--------------------
Jesus is a pacifist.
Babel Fish: Yes Christ is the pacifist.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #18
I agree. Remember D Pliss? That shows how Runescape gives birth to trolls and noobs.

--------------------
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are still under developement, but help would be nice. By the way, most of the conversation goes in the Moderator forum, in case your confused.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
That shows how Runescape gives birth to trolls and noobs.
...and poor grammar.

D Pliss is BANNED, correct?

--------------------
Jesus is a pacifist.
Babel Fish: Yes Christ is the pacifist.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #20
Correct, I'm pretty sure that it is forever, thankfully.

--------------------
I like this image
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #21
Originally by Jewels:

quote:
Chat... What chat? Certainly not clan chat. The Lyceum gets more posts then clan chat.
Those are the clan forums, not the clan chat. You can get into chat by visiting the altar of literacy, clicking the link near the top of the announcements pane, and typing /clan. Someone is generally on right after rollover.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #22
sure. Just give away that information. Now anybody can get in there and spam.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Rowen:

quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

I was up till 4am the other day playing Civ 3. Now my sleeping times are all messed up because of it.

For the record, this is the only time Synergy has ever been right about something.

Civilization is great, although there's diminishing returns after Alpha Centauri, which really seems to be one of the top 3 games ever made. I'm weird in that I prefer Call to Power to Civ III; then again, Civ3:Conquests is far better than Civ III vanilla (lethal bombardment alone is worth an expansion pack - it's delightful to get an armada of bombers and disintegrate the enemy's railroad network and/or his army in one turn), and I never really got into Civ IV, although I might give it a try again now my video card is better.

I really do recommend Call to Power. It feels a lot like Civ II developed in a different direction - with better graphics (but still sprite-based), new resources, a better trade system and a totally revamped combat system (and better for it - ranged combat is great and introduces a pretty nifty wrinkle into the game). It is a precursor to several vital changes in the series, including terraforming (done with an interface in CTP, a separate unit in AC and III, but a settler in II), ranged bombardment (weaker, but present, in both AC and III - and only in III do units appear specifically devoted to it).

The best part is really the expanded tech tree. I like that CTP goes until the Diamond Age, because it allows absolutely awesome things like sea and space colonization, which both make a builder's game relevant in an era when it's usually restrained to cleaning up the debris from bombed-out, occupied imperial territories. This did sort of go in the opposite direction from Civ III - in II, tech advantages were less significant than in AC, and in CTP they can get vast and lethally so - but it's still a lot of fun.

So yeah, give CTP a shot. You'll forget pretty quick you're not playing a Firaxis/Microprose game - it's seemingly what they would have done if they had the time and inclination. (And don't even get me started on the later-game wonders - the SETI Project is nice and all, but CTP gives you late-age wonders that can control your populace's minds and potentially break off and form its own empire - in an odd way, sort of like a game-scale Punishment Sphere - and a damn Space Ladder.)
Apprentice
Member # 12021
Profile #24
Yep, Colossal Cave Adventure, and a very early text/ASCII grid( i.e. the scanners) graphics version of Start Trek is what got me hooked on computers. All printed out line by line, on yes, gasp a printer on an HP 9830. Then when I bought my TI 94/A, the Scott Adams Adventureland series came out. I would get home from work and spend most of the night playing. When I got my Apple II, I played Ultima I etc. My favorite text type adventure game of all time was, alas, Infocom's Hitcher's Guide to the Galaxy - man, a game that would lie to you was a hoot! Ah, the old days of Basic language game programming, Creative Computing Magazine and the always fashionable Bionic Toad T-Shirt.

quote:
Ultima IV on my //c. What did it take...44,000 moves to complete? First computer game ever was Adventure, which became Zork, on some clunky DOS machine my dad's friend put together. That was when I first started staying up too late at night.

[ Thursday, November 22, 2007 14:20: Message edited by: SubVet ]

--------------------

Pages