Ever bought someone a Spiderweb game as a gift?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Ever bought someone a Spiderweb game as a gift?
Warrior
Member # 10234
Profile #0
Have you bought a Spiderweb game for someone else? How did they like it?

I'm planning to get one for my brother (b-day). He likes NWN, Baldur's Gate, among more mainstream games like Resident Evil stuff, but I checked the demo and I think he'll like Geneforge IV.

I know the site says "no prior Geneforge experience required", but are there a lot of inside references in Geneforge 4 that he'll miss?

I'm playing NG:R and BOA myself, but I think he'll be impressed more with the slicker GUI in G4 (not sure he's as into the "retro" thing as I am, probably not).
Apprentice
Member # 10408
Profile #1
No, Jeff explains everything you need to know pretty carefully. That said, I'd just yield to avarice and buy it for yourself instead. :D

--------------------
Microsoft is like a herd of dragons with amoebic dysentery: massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.

Death takes a holiday.

How not to do it: "Hi, Mr. Dragon. I've come to destroy you, so would you mind if I borrowed your Fireproof Skin Balm recipe first?"
Warrior
Member # 10234
Profile #2
Well that's a given. I'll probably slog through the Trilogy first myself. If I can only find the time.....!
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #3
I haven't bought a SW game for someone else, but I guilt tripped my sister into buying BoA for me. That was fun. :)

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

"Sanity" available at
http://cdbaby.com/cd/arianamorrow
and
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=257479700

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Ming:

I know the site says "no prior Geneforge experience required", but are there a lot of inside references in Geneforge 4 that he'll miss?

Just like with Exile/Avernum trilogy, the games of Geneforge series take place in the same universe, but in a different setting. So each game could be played on its own, although you can appreciate references to previous games only if you have actually played them. On the other hand, since the Geneforge games have multiple different endings, if you had reached the ending opposite from the one assumed by the following games, you might be a little annoyed. So it's really up to you.

[ Tuesday, September 11, 2007 09:32: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 6714
Profile Homepage #5
I don't know about the Geneforge games, but Avernum II did make a LOT of references to Avernum I...everywhere you went, there were people left and right talking about what the great adventurers did before you showed up...which is amusing since my current party(at least before I turned the two meleeers into a Slith and a Nephil) had the exact same appearance and names as my Avernum I party.

Anyway, to answer the question...yes. I bought the first three Geneforge games for my brother, whom you guys know as Iffy.

--------------------
Well that signature was out of date, since I've not been here in forever.
Warrior
Member # 10234
Profile #6
Thanks guys, sounds like Geneforge 4 is a winner for a gift - I'll order it in a week or so.

And pick up a $15 promotional copy of the original for myself...? ;) (see I'm not completely unselfish)
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #7
quote:
Anyway, to answer the question...yes. I bought the first three Geneforge games for my brother, whom you guys know as Iffy.

Actually you got them for yourself.
It was a long while ago that you gave me Avernum 3. Then you eventually gave me Avernum 1 and 2, BoA, as Well as Geneforge 1-3.

One day you got me Avernum 4 for my birthday.

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
FYI, Iffy is short for Infernal Flamming Muffin.