Harry Potter *WITH SPOILERS*

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Harry Potter *WITH SPOILERS*
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #50
My main issue with Harry's character is his apparent lack of an intermediate setting. Either his telling the Minister of Magic that he's Dumbledore's man through and through, or he's convinced that he's a cold blooded manipulator because of something he read in a book by Rita Skeeter. First he's against the trip to the Lovegoods because it distracts from the Horcruxes, next he's neglecting the primary mission because he's obsessed with the Hallows. I know youth tend to see things in black and white, but the way Harry operates goes far beyond normal.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #51
I have to agree that I don't really see Harry as being much of a hero. Whether one likes his character or not is, of course, entirely a matter a personal opinion, but even from the absolute beginning, the only thing that makes him anyone special at all is because of something Lily Potter did.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #52
But the idea of the series is, of course, that how you start out is less important than where you end up (see also Dumbledore, Snape).

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair. | I have a love of woodwind instruments.
"That damn meddling eskimo." --WKS about Alorael
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #53
Diki:
quote:

Dikiyoba didn't like the epilogue and wishes that it was left to the imagination instead.

Yeah. All that the epilogue does is reinforce that Rowling has a penchant for orphans, and B grade Mills and Boons relationships.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #54
I have mixed feelings about the epilogue. From one perspective, I do appreciate the way Rowling takes us full circle to seeing Harry and Ginny's, and Ron and Hermione's children leaving for Hogwarts. Neville's post as Herbology professor was fitting if somewhat predictable. Harry's comments about Snape being one of the bravest men Harry has known was touching, and I enjoyed the brief eye contact and nod from Draco. On the other hand, we were having simply too many names thrown at us. It took me a second read through to figure out who the bloody hell Victoire was. Also Albus Severus is a terrible name. It also left out details about what Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione did with there lives besides reproducing after the story ends.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
BoaEdit
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #55
Apparently, Rowling's going to do an encyclopedia, so that should clear up a great deal.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #56
According to an interview Rowling gave right after Deathly Hallows was published, Harry and Ron are Aurors (Harry being in charge of the Auror Office), and Hermione works in magical law.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #57
Yeah, I linked to that on the previous page. I'm just saying it would have been nice to have that worked into the epilogue, rather than having it revealed in an interview.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
BoaEdit
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #58
Acd:
quote:
First he's against the trip to the Lovegoods because it distracts from the Horcruxes, next he's neglecting the primary mission because he's obsessed with the Hallows.
Maybe Harry has ADHD?!

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by Suspicious Vlish:

Acd:

How did I become Acd?

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #60
It's pretty hard to write a book in which every plot turn makes such complete sense as to seem inevitable in retrospect, and still be writing about a world with magic. Any restriction or possibility at all is conceivable, if it's about magic. In principle magic is still supposed to have its rules, and not just be arbitrary. But if all these rules and all their implications are fully worked out by the author and explained to the reader in advance, then what you have is not so much magical fantasy as hard Sci Fi with alternate science.

It's hard to pull off a good hard Sci Fi book, and even if you can, it has a totally different feel from magical fantasy. The feeling that anything might happen is a big part of what makes a series like HP work. An inherent tendency to deus ex machina is a price that I think one just has to accept for that: it's a world full of gods and machines.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #61
Wow... I just finished, so pardon me if I'm treading on past conversation.

For about the first third of the book, I was amazed by the meticulous detail with which Rowling had built this incredibly complete-feeling world, and the savagery with which she was tearing it apart. I had guessed that Harry was himself a Horcrux several hundred pages before Harry himself learned it, and I know for one that my sister already knew where the Ravenclaw artifact was at least a hundred pages before the book revealed it.

I feel odd about Harry's whole 'cheating death' experience... but still, I'm impressed and I was more than willing to go along with it. As for the climactic battle, it wasn't, but I think that was for the best... anything more and it would've smacked heavily of melodrama.

And the epilogue. I personally wish it had gone a bit further into explaining what all happened to everyone (I did glance at the previous posts and see that others agreed), but I don't think it was sappy or unnecessary. In fact, I rather approved, though I agree that Albus Severus is a horrible name.

Wow. A rather fitting conclusion, in my mind. Now, the difficult task of making my next scenario not infringe on Rowling's work in any way. :P

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #62
Just replay DoK and EoR. Your stuff is netter by far. :P

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #63
Picked it up and read it today (youpi for stat holidays!). Best book of the series, in my opinion. Pacing was much better than the previous six.

Christian symbolism: didn't find it too strong, myself. The fact that Harry was a lich himself made sense to me. I kinda expected Rowling to build on the two Bible quotes more. (On a related note: would Christians be protected by the sacrifice countercharm? At the very least, Rowling doesn't appear to believe in unlimited atonement; else everyone would be protected. ;) )

Teh Final Confrontation: Harry? Stop whining about wands. Kill the phylacteries, then use a bloody firearm! At the least you could have uttered the phrase "I've got your Avada Kedavra right here," before you shoot him. In fact, there were any number of lines you could have chosen for that fight.

"Rule of thumb, Riddle. You can't kill the messiah."

"Heeere's Harry!"

"Say hello to my little friend!"

'Cause anything's better than "I am the true master of the Elder Wang."

--------------------
I'd also like to point out that my greatest hopes for the series were never realized. That is, I never got to see Muggles assaulting Hogwarts. Nothing says awesome like supersonic jets shooting down dragons in mid-air while tanks bombard the walls and black-ops agents terminate all mages in the corridors with extreme prejudice.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this.
(bash)

Why-oh-why aren't you on TV?

--------------------
And I am so very tired, of doing the right thing...

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #65
New sig!

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #66
As much as I'd like to claim otherwise...

--------------------
http://www.bash.org/?789709
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #67
Aww... Bad evil overlord! Bad!

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #68
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

As much as I'd like to claim otherwise...

--------------------
http://www.bash.org/?789709

I saw that one on bash first, actually. Dejá vu.

--------------------
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'

Pages