Jeff Interview at IMG

Error message

• Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Jeff Interview at IMG
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #25
It is smart to keep updating old games. I played the demo of Exile 2 but I would never have bought it. I just don't like purchasing old games, and I'm sure other people agree with me. I know an updated version of Avernum wouldn't truly be a new game, but it would feel that way. You have to keep it real, new, in the spotlight.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 8548
Profile #26
Games like Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Wasteland, and Ultima 4 are just as playable today as they were back then. Well, maybe you need a few modifications, or an emulator to get them to play on a modern operating system, but the games themselves are timeless, and they don't need any more gimmicks.

I would like to point out that adding music to your older games WOULD make them better. The graphics and gameplay are fine, but they lack good music. I think you should simply "remake" your old games with the same graphics, maybe a few balance changes, music, and being able to play on future operating systems. That's all.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #27
Did someone just say "Ultima 4" and "lacks good music" in the same post? For shame.

(Better Shame than Hythloth, I suppose...)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 8548
Profile #28
You misread my post. I enjoy the cheesy old Ultima 4 music. ;) I'd love the Spiderweb games to have music like this.

http://www.surfing.net/ultima/bard/ultima4.html

It's too bad Stones only first appeared on Ultima 5.
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #29
What is it with all you Spidweb-games-don't-have-any-music!-I-think-I'm-just-gonna-die! crybabies.
Why do you need music in an adventure game like this.
I mean, imagine some Rambo or any other (silly, but still good for illustration) action movie character walking around and shooting enemies wearing a discman or an mp3 player ...
Well, come to think of it, it'd be somewhat cool when the batteries'd run out when he was in the middle of a huge crossfire and he'd stop the war for a minute to replace them.

And furthermore: Jeff said that G5 is the last of the G games.
I think that's a very good news. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the games very much, but i believe the story has gone far enough and remained very very nice for the whole time and anything else would just ruin the fun.

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Apprentice
Member # 8406
Profile #30
avernum is a computer game. your computer has a cd player.
Apprentice
Member # 8548
Profile #31
Geneforge has such great mechanics, though, I hope it spiritually goes on in later games. Shaping, spells, real time movement but turn based combat, and so on. It's a real shame it will end so soon, though, since the first couple games were unbalanced in many ways. It's like it's getting killed off at its peak, maybe even before it.

The importance of music is that it can really be integrated into events and locations into the game that suit it. Check this stuff out, as an example.

http://www.planescape-torment.org/soundtrack/

Plus, I feel that composing music naturally stimulates the mind. I bet adding music to a Spiderweb game would make everything else a bit better, somehow...
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #32
As long as septuagenarian Eskimos with dialup play Spiderweb games, there will be no music.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

As long as septuagenarian Eskimos with dialup play Spiderweb games, there will be no music.
*throws some more tundra-wood into the fire heating his igloo*
That's right.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #34
You should be careful, that Eskimo has a sniper rifle.

There was a discussion last year about adding music and with too many dial up customers, Jeff has held off adding anything that makes the game too large for easy downloading.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #35
Given that you get the CD when you order (unless you don't want one), what exactly prevents the music from being put on the CD?

Admittedly, this would force some distinction between the "unlocked, downloaded version" and the "CD version" of the game, which till now appears not to exist. But I think it'd be worth it.

Also, since quite a few people do have broadband, the music extension (or in fact the CD version) could be a separate download via FTP (the same way you get BoE and Nethergate).

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #36
I dunno - I think I'd prefer to listen to my own music rather than some midi Jeff thinks is good...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Apprentice
Member # 8548
Profile #37
You have to be kidding me. Demo size shouldn't be a factor at all. MIDI files are extremely small and Jeff doesn't have a problem throwing in more graphical bells and whistles. Dial up is almost extinct, at least as far as gamers are concerned. ;)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #38
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't listen to the music that Jeff packaged, but I suppose he could include the option to turn it off. I am not sure how much your average MIDI adds, but dial-up is not extinct in Jeff's fanbase, even if it is unusual among gamers in general. Jeff's fanbase is not by any means a demographically standard cross-section of gamers.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #39
I also think I remember something about Jeff not really liking music in games, so we're probably not going to see music in Spiderweb games any time soon.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Typo.

[ Monday, May 21, 2007 07:02: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #40
I wonder if Jeff will use his 1.5 games left in Geneforge to release G5 and an expasion pack? I'm a big fan of the expansion pack concept in general, and think it would work particularly well for Spiderweb games which tend to have higher than average replay value (especially the Geneforge series) and a dedicated fan base.

But I think the most important reason for Spiderweb to release expansion packs for its games is that dedicated fans (as many on these boards are) are probably willing to pay $30 for the game and another $15 for the expansion pack, and more casual fans who would balk at paying $45 may still be willing to give it a try at $30. Thus, Jeff gets $45 from players willing to pay $45, and $30 from players not willing to pay $45, but willing to pay a bit less. It just makes sense.

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #41
So basically the empire is evolving in a non "racial and more liberal" unified empire were the different species learn to except one an other to defend them selves from the same threats that opposes them.

What threat is the Empire going to cook up or could harm the different races?

[ Monday, May 21, 2007 08:29: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

but dial-up is not extinct in Jeff's fanbase
Well, it sure isn't extinct in Slovenia and we're supposed to be quite developped these days (not that i bragg or even care, but anyway) and a lot of people still have a dial-up. I used to have it till like less than a year ago.
But anyway, I think that a least in A and E series, the sounds inside the game make for way cooler an atmosphere than any music'd make. Don't you think it's even hazardous to play loud music in the underground.

quote:
Originally written by Zorro:

I wonder if Jeff will use his 1.5 games left in Geneforge to release G5 and an expasion pack?
Or he could release sort of an easteregggame, where you'd start as an ornk trying to outrun a hungry servile with a knife and in the end deciding whether to aid the serviles in their holy quest to reshape all the ornks to have purple skin and give chocolatte milk or the rebellion under the Arch Ghaldornk who really have no idea why they are rebelling (They're as intelligent as cows, for crying out loud!).

[ Monday, May 21, 2007 09:21: Message edited by: 25AnarhIztok11 ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #43
Realmz excellent music, however, I believe that it was only enjoyed by Mac users.

I found Jeff's post here a little surprising.
quote:
Such as, say, dealing with Avernum.
Does this mean another devastating war between the two nations?

--------------------
WWJD?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #44
Originally by Excalibur:

quote:
Does this mean another devastating war between the two nations?
No, "dealing" as in diplomacy, spying, scouting missions, and such. You know, adventurer stuff.

Dikiyoba.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #45
Personally, I adored the Exile II music. It fit the game so well, and it never seemed to get annoying.

There aren't many game BGMs I can say that for.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 52
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

I emailed one of the Jewel of Arabia programmers in I think late 2005, and he was still around, and quite tickled to get mail about JoA. That really was a wonderful game.

It is possible to play this stuff on an Intel Mac, though it does take some setup. If you're invested enough, Basilisk II seems to work well for many people. I set it up this spring so I could play Exile III, and it was easy once I got it going.

Oh - that is encouraging advice. I am getting an Intel Mac in a month or so (hopefully, if Steve ever upgrades the damn MBPs!) so I will try it then.

I can't wait to try out an Intel Mac.

--------------------
Behind, the sea of time and space roars and follows swiftly
Apprentice
Member # 8854
Profile #47
Oh man. Jewel of Arabia. I hadn't thought about that game in *years* and now I really want to play it again. And send the developers some money since I actually have money these days. Not a lot, but more than I had as a high-school student.

I got the impression that it was intended to be a series, but that must not have worked out. Too bad.

I will say - I'm very happy about a commitment to keeping the old games available to later generations, but there's a *big* difference between doing that and doing a ground-up rewrite like the Avernum series. I much prefer the former to the latter - Exile is just plain a different experience and although I'm not willing to commit to *disliking* the changes in becoming Avernum (I really haven't played them enough to have a viable opinion), it's kind of like saying that Ultima V: Lazarus constitutes keeping Ultima V alive for people to play. (Lazarus being a total conversion mod for Dungeon Siege. I imagine the plot's transferred for the most part and I'm sure they did what they could to preserve the experience, but playing a TC of Dungeon Siege is never going to be playing Ultima V as originally designed. Big, big play-style differences.)

Even new content is presenting a different play experience, although I'm not as inclined to complain about that. Ideally I'd prefer preservation efforts to a) present a basically bug-free experience, b) fix elements of the interface that were not user-friendly, and c) possibly upgrade the graphics. I don't get especially upset about fixing major glaring design faults, either, but then you start getting into issues of what people originally liked about the game, so it's risky territory.

Anyway. I look forward to Geneforge 5 and the "something different", whatever that may be. And I will certainly try whatever winds up happening down the road in terms of revisiting the old stuff. If I don't wind up liking it, it's not like anyone's holding a gun to my head and making me buy it, after all.

[ Sunday, June 03, 2007 19:38: Message edited by: malkav11 ]
Apprentice
Member # 8202
Profile #48
I look forward to you keeping the classics alive!
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #49
quote:
5 1/2 games would be perfect, but it won't work.

Does that leave the possibility of writing Geneforge 5 and expanding the storyline later like in Nethergate to equal 5 1/2 games?

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.

Pages