School

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: School
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #25
Middle of term three for me. Nearly done!

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #26
I arrive at school... actually, about two and a half hours ago.
Did I mention that I hate Ohio?

Classes start Wednesday.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is going to recieve a severe beating because he forgot to pack my surge protectors.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #27
*Gasp* It's only a day and a half away!

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
BANNED
Member # 6074
Profile #28
For me school starts on the 28th. I'm moving on to the high school. Now that my grades count i'll have to work hard.

--------------------
---------------------------------
Live long and prosper.
Viva mucho tiempo y prospere.
Habiter long et prospérer.
Leben Sie lang und prosperieren Sie.
Lever lang og prosper.
Longos vivos e prosper.
Lunghi in tensione e prosperano.
???????????
?????????
???? ? ????.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Norwegian Wood:

For me school starts on the 28th. I'm moving on to the high school. Now that my grades count i'll have to work hard.
Don't worry. Your grades in high school don't count as much as they say they do. As long as you do well in your junior year, it doesn't matter.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #30
I didn't do anything in high school except [illegal activities], play music, and play video games.

I never even came close to failing even advanced placement classes... it's easy stuff.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #31
Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
quote:
Originally written by Norwegian Wood:

Don't worry. Your grades in high school don't count as much as they say they do. As long as you do well in your junior year, it doesn't matter.
Yeah, what they really care about is community service, leadership, and something called "school spirit".

Dikiyoba.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #32
Depends where you live, of course. In Australia, your ENTER score (a percentile ranking based on standardising your grades against every student in the country) is by far the most important thing universities consider for most courses, and extracurricular activities are only considered when deciding whether to accept a student with a marginal score.

[ Saturday, August 19, 2006 16:52: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #33
Don't underestimate the importance of both GPA and SAT scores in college admissions in the US. Most school (i.e. non-ivy leagues) base their decisions mainly on these two things. Extra-curricular activities and leadership and such play only a minor role. This is especially true of state universities, where they basically apply a formula. It is only is when you are on the borderline that they consider other things.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #34
In the US, extracircular activies are becoming another example of resume padding. Everyone seems to do the same things so they have no real value. Unless you are using it for a scholarship it shoudn't matter.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #35
As WKS said, community service, leadership, and whatever else are definitely the third consideration, after GPA and SAT score. GPA and test scores are almost the entire application at large schools. Large schools use that third factor as a tie-breaker.

Different schools have different ways of counting GPA and test scores, though: some schools ignore grades from freshman year, some schools take your highest individual subscores from different sittings of the SAT, etc. The way to know how they count things is to check the school's website.

I teach test prep, which is how I know this. College apps are related to my actual work.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #36
All I know is that I graduated high school with a 2.1 GPA (I was an incredible slacker) and got into every college I applied to. Including some private schools that are said to have very selective application processes. Of course, my 1520 SAT score, and the fact that I was the captain of my high school's winning quiz bowl team might have had something to do with that. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #37
Yeah but SAT scores only take you so far. I got a 1600, and I still got rejected by two schools.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #38
The other rule about college apps is that individual results vary wildly. You can always find someone who got in somewhere who had a low GPA/SAT score or got rejected somewhere who had a high GPA/SAT score.

By the way, graduate admissions, which I'm just now getting into, are not nearly as random and subjective. The tests are much harder (and college GPAs much lower), so there are not nearly as many people with near-perfect numbers. You're a much safer bet to get into the law school of your choice with a 4.0 college GPA and a 180 LSAT than to the college of your choice with a 4+ high school GPA and a 2400 on the new SAT.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #39
I've also heard that colleges look at your extra-cirrucular activities as well as your academic performance.

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #40
It depends on the level of school you're looking to get into. Large state schools are all about the #'s if you're in-state. But to get into "the best schools" you need more than the numbers. The idea behind that is that basically every applicant to Harvard or Stanford is capable of doing the work (with a few exceptions, who are weeded out early on). The difference between a 3.7 GPA with a 2350 SAT and a 4.1 GPA with a 2200 SAT is negligible.

These schools are trying to build a well-rounded community. That doesn't mean every student should be well-rounded, but that together each incoming class should have kids from all ends of the spectrum. The single most important factor in getting into these types of schools is "having a passion". That one thing you love to do and do well. They love to see that. Not to say that not having a passion means you'll automatically get rejected, either, but the whole passion thing is a big plus.

Don't try to go out and develop a passion. Doesn't work that way. What you need to do is get a couple of good teacher recommendations and write good, sincere essays that really give the admissions officers a sense for who you are as a person and as a student. Extra-curriculars are great too, if you're really involved or interested in one or two activities. But joining 10 clubs and being "treasury vice president" in five won't help your case.

Some elite schools (Stanford, for one) drop your freshman year grades and recalculate your GPA from your sophomore and junior grades (with a tiny bit of senior grades just to make sure you're not slipping).

So, in summary, grades and test scores are not the be all and end all. If you have a passion, emphasize that on your application. Make sure to write strong, honest essays, and get some teachers who really know you to write your recommendations.

And don't stress too much!

EDIT: And there will always be a couple people in each senior class in your school who are smart and good all-around students who will not get into any of their top choices. Just hope it isn't you.

[ Sunday, August 20, 2006 04:10: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #41
Another point of interest - my school does not weigh '+' and '-' attachments to letters into the GPA. Anyone else go to a school like this?

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #42
A lot of schools don't. It won't count for or against you. In fact, some colleges recalculate GPAs without the + or - modifiers your school gives. Other schools give number grades out of 100. So it's really about how good you are within your school and how good your school is compared to other schools, not how good you are compared to someone from another school (at least not through a direct GPA comparison).

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:

Another point of interest - my school does not weigh '+' and '-' attachments to letters into the GPA. Anyone else go to a school like this?
I think that's standard in all public schools in California.

[ Sunday, August 20, 2006 05:57: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #44
I never go back. Ever. And I'm not teaching myself anything. Formal education for me is over. For the foreseeable future anyway.

I *did* get into University. And a good one. To do English. Which normally, I would have killled for. My grades kicked ass too. But I thiink I've gotten to a point in my life where I want to learn by doing, rather than by reading.

That isn't to say I'm not going to read. Rather, I'm going to do what I want to do, and let my curiousity and interests take me from subject to subject. And I think I can do that best off my own back.

Plus, I want to be a writer, and doing an English degree will change my writing style. Which isn't something I want to be forced upon me. When it happens, fine. I just don't want it to happen because a 50-year old professor tells me to change it. :)

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #45
That's all well and good, but what happens if/when you realize you can't make it as a writer and you suddenly need that degree you never got in order to get a good job?

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #46
The thing everyone says about writing is that you indeed learn it by writing. Why not write a bunch of little essays and get a degree that may later give you some security in which to write? Hunger is not inspirational. And life as an English major still leaves plenty of time to write your own stuff.

And give yourself some credit. Nothing's going to screw up your own style if you don't let it.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #47
* Cues music *
What do you do with a BA in English?
What is my life going to be?
Four years of college, and plenty of knowledge
Have earned me with this useless degree

I can't pay the bills yet 'cuz i have no skills yet
The world is a big scary place
But somehow I can't shake the feeling I might make
A difference to the human race

--------------------
--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Extra-curriculars are great too, if you're really involved or interested in one or two activities. But joining 10 clubs and being "treasury vice president" in five won't help your case.
Well, unless you're trying to get into an accounting course. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #49
For what job do you need a B.A. in English?

--------------------

Pages