Exile 1: Escape from the Pit - 7.39 (9.0/6.0)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exile 1: Escape from the Pit - 7.39 (9.0/6.0)
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #0
All the exiles are here.

I thought this game was a bit amateurish, but overall an okay start. Didn't have the same technical flash as the others.

[ Friday, February 16, 2007 20:45: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
It doesn't meet Exile II's standards either in terms of atmosphere/story or technically, but it has its own brilliant parts, like the Abyss, and the scattered rumors of the First Expedition. It transfigured the fading Ultima IV paradigm into something more personable and more enduring. Enduring and honest innovation is worth more to me than technical perfection is.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #2
Oh, for my lost youth, when E1 was the fairest thing under the sun.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3

I loved E1. I played it for years. Now, more than a decade later, I can't make myself play it anymore. It's too old and too lacking in the refinements of later Exiles.

The 7.0 is for nostalgia, really. In content it beats E3, but I still play E3/BoE, not E1.

—Alorael, who just broke his own rule and rated based on engine. Fie, fie. Without the engine it's an 8.5. 8.7 for A1 minus two for lacking Lost Bahssikava.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Well, it lacks the immersive plot of E2, and the engine is a little awkward. On the other hand, it's the first introduction to an interesting setting, and while there isn't much to be said for the combat, the towns and dialogue were clearly designed by someone who put a lot of thought into them. 8

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
The first of Jeff's games, and it shows. The engine is a little painful, and IMO this was the only game that was helped by the conversion to Avernum.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #6
This game had excellent new ideas. I have replayed it many times, and still play it sometimes. I like the chests with random content. But the game feels a bit empty compared to later Exiles.

I generally prefer Exile games over their Avernum counterparts, though Avernum 1 was an improvement over this one. It had more detail and some things had been developed. I like the graphics and the variety in the Exile series. The story and quests are usually the best parts.

[ Sunday, March 05, 2006 14:19: Message edited by: Milu ]
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #7

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
Combat is simplistic, but I never really minded it much. (Plus, it was undeniably fun to hoard up gold early in the game to buy the Kill spell.) The setting was unique and made up for the cliché plot (ie, "demons and an evil empire, oh my!").

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6852
Profile #9
6.0 - The only Exile which actually deserved a remake, and by that, I mean a bit of spit and polish, not the atrocity which is Avernum. Fun for a little diversion, but lacks the scope or vision of its sequel or the basic technical competence of the third.

--------------------
http://desperance.net
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
The engine was a bit too crude for me. Really interfered with my playing experience.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #11
*Pulls out...deep, ancient artifact?*

[ Friday, February 16, 2007 09:53: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #12
Exile: Escape from the pit

A good game, but due to the primitive engine I'll probably play Avernum instead from now on.

Rating: 7.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #13
I'll give it a 7.

The setting was great, but the interface really made it hard to enjoy. Maybe if it had been the first one I played I wouldn't have minded so much the troubles with looking at the automap and moving.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #14
I can't say I liked *any* of Jeff's Exile games, not even his BoE scenarios. Maybe it's because Avernum has a lot more gameplay balance (However, BoE is much more fun to play than BoA), maybe it's because Exile isn't much when compared to some BoE scenarios out there, nevertheless; I'm not sure I will ever buy the Exile trilogy.
I'm not going to rate them - they're not *bad* games, but I just didn't really like them.
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00