Harry Potter

Error message

• Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Harry Potter
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #25
Its a shame, as I would not be able to get it at 12:01. I also have to play football that day, and therefore I will get it at about 11am. A couple of days later when I'm finished, I will simply take up Stephen Donaldson's White Gold Weilder and finish that. Then I will most likely read the series again.

EDIT: 750.

Also, here are all the release days for HBP.

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 22:42: Message edited by: SprungSpring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #26
I remember before OOTP came out everyone was saying there would be queues everywhere and books would be flying out of the stores. If that was true how come my mother simply walked into Target and picked up a copy from a large stack (This was on the day of it's release)

On Jack-ass Harry: I seem to recall that many of the HP fandom people started calling him Capslock!Harry for reasons I can't seem to remember :P

Final thing, if you like making fun of the "Harry Potter iz TEh EVOL!" Idea, this 'Essay' is quite amusing.

http://www.exposingsatanism.org/harrypotter2.htm

--------------------
"He's mine, go get your own human plaything!" Bernard Black (Black Books)

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Milla:

On Jack-ass Harry: I seem to recall that many of the HP fandom people started calling him Capslock!Harry for reasons I can't seem to remember :P http://www.exposingsatanism.org/harrypotter2.htm
BECAUSE EVERY TIME HE GETS ALL EMO AND AGITATED (ABOUT ONCE A DAY) HE YELLS AT HIS FRIENDS IN CAPITAL LETTERS!

:P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #28
Indeed. There was also insane!harry, female!harry, evil!harry, sex-god!harry...

It's amazing what some of the hardcore fans can come up with when they put their mind to it.

From what I've heard in the 6th book Harry will still be a wangster for part of it.

--------------------

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #29
quote:

Final thing, if you like making fun of the "Harry Potter iz TEh EVOL!" Idea, this 'Essay' is quite amusing.

http://www.exposingsatanism.org/harrypotter2.htm

I had no idea that someone could look at the books that way. And I still have no idea what the author thinks to achieve with this.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #30
Even though the site itself is possibly not a fake, the writer actually wrote it as a work of parody.

--------------------

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
a false, mixed up trinity: Tom, the Father; Dick, the Spirit (better known in the series as the ghost Sir Benedict de Mimpsy Porkington, affectively called Nearly-Headless-Dick by the children); and Harry, as the Son, the false Christ. Later, Tom the Son will remark that he and Potter are very alike (p. 340), causing more confusion in the heart of the reader.
Man this guy needs to get his symbology straight. And his knowledge of the book. Both books. He probably couldn't find the holy grail with both hands and a compass. :rolleyes:

quote:
...that the boy [Harry] can talk to snakes...
This idiocy continues with the author depicting the Christ as someone who runs around killing people with snakes. If I were a fundamentalist, I'd call that article blasphemy. :P

[ Friday, June 17, 2005 04:03: Message edited by: Why? ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #32
quote:

Even though the site itself is possibly not a fake, the writer actually wrote it as a work of parody.
I knew it! And I'm relieved. The world makes sense again.

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #33
Indeed. The "Our Lord Voldemort" pretty much confirms that.

Edit: And elsewhere, "It is the author and
publisher’s desire that this book not be obtained for the purposes of supplementing this article. It is not necessary for the comprehension of this article," carries with it a bitter barb. Most serious online sources indeed play on the reader's ignorance of the subject discussed.

[ Friday, June 17, 2005 04:10: Message edited by: Why? ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #34
I found the link to the essay at Godawful.net

Great site, anyway it's pretty amusing when you see that even though people already vertifed it as a parody some still people still didn't get the message.

--------------------

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #35
quote:

That actually is the best answer I can get.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #36
I am definitely going to buy i.t I have all the series, and one year after can still not understand how I managed to read Ootp in one day counting meals, computer, sleep and the fact I only recieved it from my brother at around midday.
The only problem is that I'm going on holiday to Spain and Spanish bookshops might not have it in English.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by SprungSpring:

A couple of days later when I'm finished, I will simply take up Stephen Donaldson's White Gold Weilder and finish that.
You, my friend, have your priorities mixed up. Thomas Covenant first, Harry Potter later.

—Alorael, who would have been in a bookstore at midnight to get the latest Thomas Covenant if he had learned that it had been written on time.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #38
Meh. Reading (and loving) The One Tree right now. I'm currently nearing the Bharalithian (spelling is definitely off there) part of the book, having past the Elohim. The Chosen is right in her agitation towards Infelice...

(I know I revived this topic, I only just read it all then and I am very bored)

--------------------

Polaris
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #39
I don't intend to buy the book, since there are plenty of better authors I could spend my money on and I'm now getting to the stage where the battle for shelf space is long gone and I'm beginning to run out of floorspace for books too.

That said, I'm relatively sure my parents will buy it and since I'll be sitting at home with nothing to do, I should think I'll read it fairly quickly. With the Harry Potter books you at least know what you're getting beforehand.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:

can still not understand how I managed to read Ootp in one day counting meals, computer, sleep and the fact I only recieved it from my brother at around midday.

I read it at about the same rate, and I also don't normally read this fast. However, I know why this is. The most recent books have been laced with a temporary mind-enhancer. This allows less intelligent people to actually find the book interesting, and to not delay thier purchase of the next book in the series because they haven't finished the previous one yet. It also has the side-effect of making people who are already somewhat intelligent able to finish the book in less than a week.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Apprentice
Member # 3004
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Multiple Monikers:

This allows less intelligent people to actually find the book interesting . . . It also has the side-effect of making people who are already somewhat intelligent able to finish the book in less than a week.[/QB]
Intelligence doesn't dictate reading speed or interest. Interest, however, does have a more relevant effect reading speed.

I'll probably be found at some bookstore at midnight with a group of friends, where several of us will dress up and most will buy the book. It appears the plan is then to proceed to someone's house and make a party of it. I'd buy it anyway sometime, but probably not at midnight with friends wearing who-knows-what--if not for rather obsessed friends.

--------------------
Sandwichs and Apples.
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #42
well, since i have ordered the book this time on the net(am gettin it at a seriously low price - rs.695 or us.14$approx... including postage & handling, so its a good bargain) am definitely gonna read it ASAP. last time I got a soft copy from a friend, and i sat up two nights reading it(took me 17 hours to finish it... mom had to hold a bucket when i cried as Sirius dies) ... this time i have decided to do some business(am charging everyone who reads the book 20 rs {thats 50 cents approx) . No need to say that the list is quite long. :D :D :D

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #43
12 days remaining until relase at the time of posting. I'm real excited.

Also, sorry about reviving. But I am still excited. Can't wait!!

--------------------

Polaris
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #44
Well, here's a Harry Potter question. The HP books all somehow seem familiar, even derivative, in general theme and concept. It seems like they are another installment in a standard genre.

I don't mean that as a bad thing. I think they are very good, and that if they are indeed instances of an established genre, then I think they will prove to be genre-absorbing, in the way that Treasure Island was for pirate adventures. (TI has a peculiar poetic preface, apologizing for having written yet another pirate story. And the baffled modern reader thinks: what other pirate stories? Today, it is nigh-impossible for a pirate story to be anything but an homage to Treasure Island. Yet far from being the first pirate story, it was actually the last pirate story.)

My question is, is this impression that Harry Potter is a familiar type of story really true? Is it just a type of story that seems inevitable in retrospect, but was really invented by Rowling? If not, what predecessors are there? Somehow I can't think of any specifically.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #45
I can think of the occasional British series such as the Worst Witch books (although those would be very unlikely to occupy anybody over 11 and weren't really worth the while for under-11s either,) but no major works that occupy exactly the same niche as Harry Potter. Which is not surprising, since if there were, Rowling would be getting plagiarism suits thrown at her left, right and centre.

I think a lot of the elements are pastiches of other fantasy elements, because originality in fantasy is almost totally confined to the more dystopian and grown-up examples of the genre. One could also argue that some parts are an updated version of such things as Jennings with added magical bells and whistles. But I don't think there is any one thing that it's a direct successor to.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #46
Worst Witch is more of a 'look at this, point your finger and it happens' kind of a book/show, imho. Its not really as deep as HP, and maybe WW copied of Harry Potter with the whole grumpy potions teacher sort of thing.

SoT: I don't really think that HP was copied off another series, as JK claims that Harry just 'strolled into her head fully formed' in around '95. Most books I have read that involve magic are more of a 'sword and sorcery' genre, with magic alongside fighting (example: Thomas Covenant, The Belgaraid/Mallorean).

[ Sunday, July 03, 2005 15:24: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #47
Rowling's writing style has always reminded me very, very strongly of Roald Dahl's. To cite a specific example, Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans would hardly look out of place in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Then again, maybe this similarity just reflects a certain aspect of British culture in general.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 999
Profile #48
I am almost 40 years old, (this Sept.), and I have always enjoyed the Harry Potter Series.

It fosters imagination (which is in precious little supply in children theses days), and a sense of the fantastic, as well as encouraging reading in general, as opposed to video games.

Not that there is anything wrong with video games, I am a gamer meself, and also have very large comic, manga, anime, and cartoon collections. Hehe, I will never grow up!!

For those who wish to read Satanic and/or Evil things into HP, I pity their children. They will never know the wonder and joy of true childhood, filled with faeries, rockets to the moon, and adventures to other lands. Pity, indeed.

But, in answer to the original question, yes, I like Harry Potter, and have already purchased the book, just waiting for publication date. And yes, I will be going to see the movie too. Just like I did for Star Wars (since 1977 fan), LoR (big fan of the original animated forms as well as the books), and many other fun movies that allow me to dream!!!

--------------------
"Welcome to the Psychiatric Hotline!
If you are obsessive/complusive, please press "1" repeatedly.
If you are co-dependant, please ask someone to press "2".
If you have multiple selves, press "3", "4", "5", and "6".
If you are schitzophrenic, listen carefully and a voice will tell you which button to press.
If you are manic depressive, it doesn't matter which button you press. No one will answer.
If you are paranoid, we know who you are. Just stay on the line.
Thank you for calling the Psychiatric Hotline!!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #49
Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton, and Tom Brown's School Days, plus a string of British sci-fi involving superhumans concealing their powers from the ordinary humans among whom they live (Doctor Who, The Tomorrow People, even Ford Prefect if you push it). I suppose together these might account for my feeling of déja lu. They don't exactly make Rowling a rip-off artist, though: it's a fair stretch to Harry Potter.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00

Pages